Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Food and Exercise Go Hand in Hand

For a healthy heart, three things are very important and they together can decide the health of your heart. We need to work on three important parts of our body: Stomach, Mind and Heart and hence here are three steps that I've taken:


Steps to have a better diet:

Fish - Fish is rich in omega-3 and it's the best food that can reduce irregular heart beat problems. It's recommended to eat fish 2-3 times every week for a healthy diet. Mainly fatty fish needs to be consumed.

Oats - Oatmeal is a fiber that reduces cholesterol by soaking it and prevents it from being absorbed into the blood, thus protecting the heart. The oats that contain the entire grain and are not among the instant foods need to be consumed (those that do not contain sugar).


Yogurt - Fat free yogurt and milk can help to reduce cholesterol and fat. We need to make sure that the milk we consume is high in potassium as that helps our blood pressure. Other items that contain potassium can include bananas, oranges and potatoes.



Steps to stay active:


Big Toe Pose (Padangusthasana) - This is a very easy asana in which you need to stand straight and the bend your body in such a way that your legs remain straight on the ground while you are able to touch your feet with your fingers. At first, it's tough to touch your feet with your fingers but with practise, it becomes easy.

Benefits: This posture helps to regulate your blood pressure and increases the flow of blood to your brain and helps in reducing any stress and anxiety problems.

Experience: I practise this asana every weekend and it has helped me to reduce my weight and has relieved my blood pressure problems.

Head-to-Knee Forward Bend (Janu Sirsasana) - In this asana, you need to sit straight on the floor with your left leg is stretched at a 90 degree angle and the right feet is pressed into your left thigh. You need to then bend and hold your left feet with both your hands and pull your toes backwards and this should continue till 6-10 breaths.

Benefits: This works the best for high blood pressure patients and for those who suffer from headaches, depression, insomnia and fatigueness.

Experience: Practising this daily in the morning has helped the stretching of my muscles and since I travel daily for 4 hours, I don't feel tired nor suffer from headaches due to this exercise.

Bridge Pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana) This asan is a bit tough to practise at first. In this you need to first lie down on your back and make sure the surface that you lie on is dry and flat. Then you need to bend your knees and lift your back without the help of your hands as your hands need to be stretched out under your body. Your head should be resting on the floor as you practise this exercise about 3-4 times.

Benefits: This asana helps spine problems and stimulates organs like the abdomen, lungs and thyroid. It's the third asana that helps blood pressure patients.



Steps to stay happy:

 Along with having good sleep and practising yoga, I've learnt how to stay calm when I have too many things on my mind. It's true that life is always complicated and we have too many challenges to face from time to time and the only way I've found to lessen my worries is music. Music is something that motivates me a lot. Music for me means emotions. I am an emotional person and I like to listen to different genres of music depending on my mood. For me music is an art form that helps to sooth a person when a person feels low or when a person is happy. Music brings people together and makes them enjoy the moment. There are many songs that are special to me and my family and when we listen to these songs, it brings back the memories we have spent together. Music is a way we can enjoy life and every song has its own meaning for every person. I hear songs without lyrics and I've also insisted my office employees to support the playing of music in the background as it really helps to complete our work in time and live life as it comes. Music is just magic and everyone should learn its importance.




I am joining the Saffolalife #ChhoteKadam initiative in association withBlogAdda and follow these small steps for a healthy heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment